Majors Joseph and Lois Wheeler
Territorial Evangelist and Spiritual Formation Secretary
Evangelism and Corps Growth Department
USA Central Territory
Joseph Wheeler entered the College for Officer Training (CFOT) from Benton Harbor, Mich., in 1974. While there he fell in love with CFOT staff officer Captain Lois Ellsworth.
Lois had entered the CFOT in 1969 and been ordained and commissioned by special guest General Erik Wickberg in 1971. She assisted at the Milwaukee Temple, Wis., Corps, then was corps officer at Oshkosh, Wis., before becoming a CFOT staff officer and falling in love with Cadet Joseph Wheeler. After their engagement, Lois was appointed corps officer in La Crosse, Wis.!
In 1976, Joseph was ordained and commissioned as a Salvation Army officer by special guest General Clarence Wisemen. He assisted at the Madison, Wis., Corps until his marriage to Lois seven months later in January 1977.
Majors Joseph and Lois Wheeler have served as corps officers in Wisconsin (La Crosse, Kenosha, Wausau and Fond du Lac); Lincoln, Neb., and Independence, Mo.
Divisional appointments for Major Joseph Wheeler have been Northern divisional youth and candidates' secretary and Midland divisional secretary for program. Major Lois Wheeler served as divisional guard and sunbeam director and as divisional corps cadet counselor for the Northern Division, and as Midland divisional women's ministry secretary.
Major Joseph Wheeler's territorial appointments included boy's work, camping and community centers consultant, territorial evangelism and corps growth secretary and territorial corps mission and adult ministries secretary. Major Lois Wheeler served as territorial Christian education director, assistant territorial evangelism and corps growth secretary, conference center director, assistant to the program secretary and assistant territorial women's ministry secretary.
The Wheelers became Territorial Evangelist and Spiritual Formation Secretary on June 30, 2010.
Majors Joseph and Lois Wheeler have three adult children-Sarah DiMaso, Stephen and Andrew-and are the proud grandparents of eight!
Click on a topic below for expanded information
- Spiritual Giants. The Bible has numerous spiritual giants to pattern one’s life after, such as Moses, David, Samuel or Joseph in the Old Testament, to Peter, Paul, John and the Lord himself. This series focuses on traits and characteristics of spiritual giants that can make any follower of Christ a giant in today’s world.
- In the Presence of Jehovah! God’s presence brings an awareness of God’s calling, cleansing, calm, courage and compassion. Theme chorus: “In the presence of Jehovah, God Almighty, Prince of Peace. Troubles vanish; hearts are mended in the presence of the King.”
- Does God Care? Of course He does. Jesus cares about the overwhelmed heart, the hungry heart, the hurting heart, the cold heart and the loving heart.
- Revelation and the Seven Churches. These seven sessions are an in-depth Precept Bible Study reviewing the ways Christ’s followers can be OVERCOMERS of: leaving their first love; false teaching; tribulation; immorality; being dead; liars and testing; and being a lukewarm believer.
- Become the Biggest Loser. As disciples there are a few things we need to lose in order to improve our spiritual health. This series places emphasis on things that hinder spiritual growth and ministry, such as doubt, fear, guilt and pain.
- Extreme Makeover. Invite your community to learn how they can participate in an internal makeover—a "soul lift"—that will make a new and welcome difference in their lives.
- Healing for Wounded Hearts. This series looks at Bible characters—such as Old Testament Joseph—to see how they overcame being hurt. Their examples can bring healing to our own hearts.
- Experience God. Experience the height, depth, and breadth of God's love as we review seven Scriptural realities that assist in developing a true relationship with the Creator.
- Explore Faith. Look at God’s love; your personal faith journey with Christ; prayer and spiritual disciplines that will bring personal fulfillment and spiritual satisfaction.
- Others as requested.
- Good $ense Budgeting Seminar. (6 hours) Everyone in your corps can experience the joy of financial freedom. The Good $ense Budget Course helps participants discover tools and develop skills that enable them to control their finances, rather than allowing their finances to control them.
- Network Spiritual Gifts Seminar. (6 hours) Do people in your congregation have a passion for service? Here's a dynamic program that will help them fulfill their unique calling! This Willow Creek curriculum motivates church members to discover their personal gifts, style, and ministry so they can give back to God what He has given them.
- Becoming a Contagious Christian. (6 hours) People matter to God. You will discover why believers are called to be Contagious Christians, how authenticity, compassion and sacrifice help us relate to seekers, and how to clearly share the gospel with those you love.
- Understanding Holiness. Salvationists desire holiness, but what are they really aspiring to? We will look at our biblical understanding of this mandate from God to "be holy as I am holy." The triune God of glory sets us on paths that lead us through encounters with God where we can discover that we have been reshaped by God into his own image.
- Prayer. S. A. Kierkegaard said “Prayer does not change God, but it changes him who prays.” Spend a weekend focusing on lessons on prayer and interactive prayer stations that allow for guided prayer times.
- Fireproof. (6 hours) Based on the movie Fireproof, these six sessions are created to help build and strengthen marriages using biblical principles. An easy format integrating movie clips, key Scriptures and group discussion. The seminar is intended for couples' small groups. Sessions include: 1) He Said/She Said; 2) He First Loved Us; 3) Love for a Lifetime; 4) Breaking Free; 5) Forgiveness: and 6) A Better Way of Loving.
- Salvation Army Historical Figures. Joe the Turk, Samuel Logan Brengle, George Scott Railton, Eliza Shirley and many more influenced the mission and growth of The Salvation Army. These historic personalities, impacted by the Bible, influenced what the Army is today and should be in the future.
- Spiritual Formation. Look at faith as a transformation that's deepened by accountability, community, and relationships. Readings, stories and personal reflection questions will help participants understand stages of spiritual development and challenge spiritual growth.
- Others as requested.
- Annual Meetings
- Officers’ Councils
- Divisional Pilgrimages
- Service Clubs (Someone Cares; Young in Heart, Old in Service & Friend to All; The Bethlehem Star Still Shines; Moving Stones…)
- Christmas Kick-offs
- Dramatic Presentations of Biblical Personalities (David, Paul, Peter, Magi, Shepherd, Prodigal Son, Mary, Martha, etc.), for Vacation Bible School or Adult Meetings
- Sunday Worship Services
- Vocal Selections
- Tuesday through Thursday Seminars
- Friday through Sunday Seminars
- Sunday through Thursday Meetings or Wednesday through Sunday Meetings
None – THQ will cover the cost of travel, lodging and meals en route. The host corps or commands will provide lodging and meals for the Wheelers while they are with you.
Use the Online Ministry Request form to contact Major Joseph Wheeler to work out dates. Once accepted the process is automated to your Unit Commander and others who need to track the approval process. You will receive copies of the emails to assist you in knowing the status of the request.
Please use the links below to access downloadable resources!
- Become the Biggest Loser (Graphic)
- Does God Care? (Poster) (Inserts)
- Experience God - Worship Series (Poster) (Inserts)
- Extreme Makeover - Worship Series (Poster) (Inserts)
- Explore Faith (Graphic)
- Healing of Wounded Hearts (Poster) (Inserts)
- In the Presence of Jehovah (Poster) (Inserts)
- Prayer Seminar (Poster) (Inserts)
- Revelation and the Seven Churches (Poster) (Inserts)
- Roadside Reminders - Signs of Faith (Poster) (Inserts)
- Salvation Army Heritage (Poster) (Inserts)
- Spiritual Giants (Poster) (Inserts)
- Network Spiritual Gifts Seminar (Poster) (Inserts)
- Good$ense Budgeting Seminar (Poster)