The Salvation Army's Statement Regarding COVID-19
Our National Emergency Disaster Services blog offers this update on The Salvation Army’s response to COVID-19.
The Salvation Army USA is working closely with federal and state authorities to prepare for the possibility of a COVID-19 outbreak. We are consistently providing updates to the Federal Emergency Management Agency on our National Preparedness & Response status. Across the country, trained Salvation Army Emergency Response staff are on standby to assist if requested. Additionally, we are supporting Centers for Disease Control and Prevention public health officers by providing snacks and hydration at O’Hare International Airport in Chicago.
Ensuring the safety of those who depend on The Salvation Army’s programs and services, along with the safety of staff and volunteers, is of utmost priority. We are closely tracking progress through the Center for Disease Control reporting and distributing prevention guidance to all staff, employees, volunteers, and program participants on proper hygiene/prevention Including:
- Proper handwashing technique and recommendations on when to wash hands
- Proper sneeze/cough technique (in elbow)
- Encouraging those with possible symptoms or exposure to stay home and reduce the risk of possible transmission
In addition to emergency response operations, we are concerned for other potential impacts such as:
- Significant economic repercussions that may present shortages on key commodities, which would impact service delivery
- An increase in the demand for social services that may occur as businesses temporarily close and air or other forms of travel are reduced
As the situation evolves, we will work in close partnership to prepare and respond in order to meet the needs of the 23 million individuals we serve each year, and the more than 63,000 employees of our organization.
For more information about COVID-19 and how to prevent it, visit the CDC website.
Help The Salvation Army Do the Most Good
Donate to Our COVID-19 Response Fundraise for Good
For tax purposes: The Salvation Army Metropolitan Division EIN is 36-2167910.