Please enter your name, email and zip code below to sign up!
The Salvation Army has a long and storied history of serving our military, veterans and their families. This is currently provided in the Heartland Division through our SSVF or Supportive Services for Veteran Families. The program is a housing stability-focused service delivery program for very low-income veteran families throughout Central Illinois. This program will serve veteran families that are homeless or imminently at-risk of being homeless. The goal is to stabilize these families in housing, while providing on-going support as needed to sustain independent living.
*Please note that the Veterans Outreach Center is not able to assist with mortgage, contract for deed, rent to own, or car payments.
Business hours: Monday through Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Please call before visiting)
What to bring to your intake meeting at The Salvation Army:
1) Your DD-214 with discharge status
2) VA ID Card
3) Driver's License or state ID (for all adults in the household)
4) Social Security card (for all adults and children in the household)
5) Verification of income (for all adults and children in the household)
6) Lease (if you have housing-Must be signed by the landlord and the Veteran.
7) If applicable, a letter from the landlord stating the amount of rent arrears-signed and dated, with phone number and address of the landlord on the letter.
8) If applicable, eviction notice or notice to vacate, or a letter from person with whom you are staying that states you must leave.
9) If applicable, copy of utilities that you need considered for payment.
Please call to be officially screened. These are the general eligibility guidelines:
Must live in Peoria, Tazewell, Woodford, Fulton, Mason, or Logan County (additional counties might be added in the future)
*For assistance in obtaining veterans' benefits from the VA, filing disability claims, using computers: All veterans
*For direct financial assistance (SSVF funding): Veterans in a household earning under 50% of Area's Median Income (AMI) (National Guard and Reservists not activated except for training purposes are not considered veterans under governing rules)
*Veterans' widows are eligible for receiving assistance in obtaining survivors' benefits