Homeless Services How to Help
Volunteer for Salvation Army Homeless Services
“For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in…” Matthew 25:35
Homeless Service residents are single women and families with children who are working with Salvation Army staff toward financial independence, family stability, employment and permanent housing.
We are looking for volunteers to serve these families.
- Bring your family
- Get a group of co-workers together
- Schedule a service project for your church small group
- Provide transport to clients for errands and appointments (days and evening)
- Tutor children living in residence (various ages, all subjects)
- Schedule “Story Hour” and read to children (and their parents!)
- Grow and cultivate a garden (flower and/or vegetable) with residents
- Teach exercise/yoga classes
- Conduct lessons on landlord/tenant rights
- Throw a holiday-related party with and for residents
- Decorate for a holiday
- Assist with moving when resident is transitioning into permanent housing
- Cook a meal and dessert with/for residents
- Throw a birthday party for residents celebrating birthdays in a given month
- Demonstrate basic sewing skills
- Work with adult residents on interviewing skills, resume development
- Teach classes on professional hair, make-up and dress
- Donate photography session for family photos
- Conduct marriage/parenting classes (licensed social worker)
- Teach computer skills
Contact the Homeless Services team today!
Call 316.263.2196 or email email@example.com.