It's Time for Some Hockey!
Back after a year hiatus due to the pandemic, The Salvation Army of Kent County will be the presenting sponsor of the sixth annual Red Kettle Game with the Grand Rapids Griffins minor league hockey team on Friday, Dec. 3. Discounted tickets for the 7 p.m. game against the Rockford IceHogs at Van Andel Arena can be purchased by visiting griffinshockey.com/red-kettle.
Highlights of the night will include:
- The hockey players wearing special-edition red jerseys co-branded with The Salvation Army shield and Niewiek Auto Sales/Hometown Sunoco logos. After the game, the jerseys will be auctioned off with proceeds to directly benefit The Salvation Army’s year-round programs and services in Kent County;
- The Salvation Army brass band playing Christmas carols on the concourse before the game and performing the national anthem on the ice;
- The Salvation Army’s giant red kettle parked in front of the arena and plenty of Salvation Army-themed elements throughout the game;
- Divisional Commander Major Glen Caddy dropping the ceremonial first puck;
- $2 concession specials from 6-8 p.m.
“After a year away, we’re ecstatic to once again be partnering with the Griffins for our sixth annual Red Kettle Game,” Major Caddy said. “The Salvation Army is looking forward to this night as it gives us an opportunity to raise awareness about our local programs as well as demonstrate our commitment to the Grand Rapids community. We invite you to join us on Dec. 3.”
“The Griffins have tremendous respect for organizations whose mission is focused on helping others, and it’s truly an honor to have worked side-by-side with The Salvation Army for so many years to help so many people,” said Bob Kaser, Griffins vice president of community relations and broadcasting. “Please know that our players take great pride in contributing through the auction of the jerseys they wear for this very special Red Kettle game.”