A/Captain Doug and A/Captain Kim Winters
The Salvation Army of Marquette County is home to The Salvation Army of Marquette and The Salvation Army of Ishpeming. Originally separate units, they combined services in 2018.
The Salvation Army History
The Salvation Army was founded in 1865 by a Methodist street preacher named William Booth. He worked with people in the slums of East London. In 1880, The Salvation Army began work in the United States and in a few short years, the ministry of The Salvation Army spread across the country, reaching the streets of Marquette in 1889. During World War II, The Salvation Army operated 3,000 service units for the armed forces...and led in the formation of the USO. Since World War II, the Army has continued its own worldwide program. Today The Salvation Army continues to work where the need is greatest, motivated by its faith in God and its love for all people. The Salvation Army is now serving 'the least of these' in over 125 countries.
Ishpeming Location History
The Salvation Army began its work in Ishpeming in 1889. We have been serving the west end for over 125 years! Our meetings were originally done in both English and Swedish. The Salvation Army’s home was at Third and Cleveland for 75 years until an oil heater exploded and the building burnt to the ground on February 16, 1964. After a brief stay in the basement of the Bethany Lutheran Church, we have been serving from the 222 E. Division location from December 10, 1966, to the present day. The building was added onto in 2000 to include a gym, new bathrooms, elevator, and new entrance. The hope was to expand our youth work and better serve the people of our community. As we look forward to our 125 year anniversary we aim to build onto the work of the foundation that was laid for us in 1889.