Never Miss a Chance to Do the Most Good

Please enter your name, email and zip code below to sign up!

Please enter your first name
Please enter your last name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter a valid zip code
VolunteerVolunteer in this community
Ways we helpWays we help in this community
DonateDonate to this community
How you can helpHow you can help in this community
Hear moreHear more from this community

Never Miss a Chance to Do the Most Good

Please enter your name, email and zip code below to sign up!

Please enter your first name
Please enter your last name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter a valid zip code
We fight poverty with love Image

We fight poverty with love

By providing programs that serve the body, mind and soul, The Salvation Army helps alleviate the symptoms of poverty - and works to address the root issues that cause it.

In 2023, The Salvation Army of Greater Green Bay was able to provide 161 households with rent assistance.

How we help overcome poverty through basic needs services

There are a variety of Basic Needs Services provided at our Corps Community Center to those in need. Each service has some eligibility requirements, such as Brown County residency or proof of identification. Some services have time limits and income eligibility requirements. To find out if you are eligible for any of the below services or to schedule an appointment, please contact our Social Services Receptionist at (920) 593-2379.

Food Pantry                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Individuals or families can receive grocery items every 30 days. The bags contain a variety of food staples such as cereal, soups, pasta, sauces, peanut butter, tuna or juice. Additionally, frozen foods  are distributed when available. Curbside pantry pick-up appointments are scheduled Monday through Friday beginning at 1:00pm. On an emergency basis, pantry is available Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 3:30 pm by individual appointment. You must provide a photo ID, proof of household composition and proof of Brown County address. Please call our Social Services Department at 920-593-2379 to schedule an appointment.

Commodity Foods                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
Individuals or families can receive USDA commodity foods once every 30 days. Commodity foods are based on donations received through the government TEFAP program and change monthly. Items include both non-perishable and frozen foods. Curbside pick-up appointments are scheduled M-F beginning at 1:00pm. Please call 920-593-2379 to schedule a pick up time. Commodity foods are available on an emergency basis between 9am and 3:30pm. If possible, please call ahead so we have time to pack the food into pantry bags. You must provide photo ID, proof of household composition and proof of Brown County address. This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Lunch Program
Lunch is served Monday through Friday from 11:15 am to 12:15 pm downstairs in our fellowship hall to anyone in need. Lunch guests should arrive no earlier than 11:15 am. Come with friends or make new ones as you enjoy good food and fellowship. 

Cleaning and Hygiene Products                                                                                                                                                                                     
Individuals or families will receive a cleaning or hygiene product when they come in monthly to receive pantry food. Product availability is based on donations but may include laundry soap, toilet paper, household cleaners, shampoo and cream rinse, deodorant, toothbrushes and toothpaste. Pantry guests may also request feminine hygiene products and diapers.

Rental Assistance
Individuals or families may receive rental assistance to help avoid eviction or to provide first month's rent, when moving out of a shelter or homeless situation. The amount of rental assistance provided is based on household size and the household must have income to be able to pay the rent in the next months. Assistance is provided via a voucher to the landlord.

Energy/Utility Assistance                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
This assistance is generally available beginning sometime in May, until funds run out each year. This assistance is provided in order to help households avoid utility disconnection or to assist with re-connection. Once Brown County Human Services is out of all available funding sources for energy assistance, St. Vincent De Paul or The Salvation Army may be able to assist without a referral form. Utility assistance is provided on a walk-in basis in the afternoons. Assistance is provided via a voucher to WPS.

Hotel Vouchers
Families with minor children who are temporarily homeless and are unable to secure shelter may be eligible for a hotel voucher, for up to 5 nights. There must be no friends or family in the area that the family can stay with for this time. The family must have a verified plan to move into an apartment within 5 days and have the means to pay their rent in the apartment. Hotel vouchers are subject to availability at local hotels.

Transportation Assistance
Vouchers for gas or bus passes may be provided to those who are newly employed and need assistance getting to and from work. This is short term assistance for 2 weeks until the individual's first paycheck arrives. Transportation assistance may also be provided for medical appointments out of the area when the need is documented by the physician and when no other forms of transportation are available.


Wisconsin Homeless Management Information System 
Consumer Notice:

This Agency receives funding from U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and/or the State of Wisconsin Department of Administration, Division of Housing to provide services for individuals and families who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. 

In order to receive this funding, this agency must participate in the Wisconsin Homeless Management Information System. This system collects basic information about clients receiving services from this agency to get a more accurate count of individuals and families who are homeless and to identify the need to provide different services. 

We only collect and share only the information that we consider to be appropriate. The collection and use of all personal information is guided by strict standards of confidentiality. A copy of our Privacy Notice describing our privacy practices is available to all consumers upon request. 

Your information will be shared with other area agencies that participate in HMIS, unless you request that your information remain closed (confidential). Keeping your information closed means that your information will only be available to case workers and intake workers within this agency. If you are interested in keeping your records closed, please talk to a case manager or intake worker. 

Public Notice (Federal Register/Vol. 69, No. 146) 

Effective August 30, 2004

This agency receives funds from United Way in support of these basic needs programs.

Other Ways We Meet Needs