The Salvation Army of Livingston County offers Christmas Assistance to Livingston County families.
If eligible Christmas assistance will be provided through either our Adopt A Family program or our Toy Shop and Holiday Meal box program.
Adopt-a-Family is a program that anonymously pairs a family in need with donors in the community. Families that are adopted will receive gifts and food for Christmas. Note: Due to the nature of this program, for a family to be eligible for Adopt A Family you must attend an October Sign up events.
Toy Shop is a program where families get to "shop" at our toy warehouse. This is a great opportunity to personally choose the perfect gift for your child. The number of gifts each child receives is dependent on the donations The Salvation Army receives each year. Along with gifts each family also receives a Holiday Meal Box including a Turkey or Ham. Families that are eligible to receive Christmas assistance, but not eligible for Adopt-a-Family will get the amazing opportunity to shop at the Toy Shop.
How do I Apply and How Does it Work?
All families wishing to receive Christmas Assistance MUST attend one of the Christmas Assistance Events.
Prior to and Day Of Christmas Assistance Events:
- Prior to the Christmas Assistant Event print and complete the Wish List to bring with you
- At the Christmas Assistance Event families will complete an application to determine eligibility (be sure to bring all the required documents, see list below)
- At the event your family will meet with one of our case workers or trained volunteers to go over your application and answer any questions
- Please try to avoid bringing children to the Christmas Assistance Events
After Christmas Assistance Event:
- You will be mailed a letter and notified by December 8th of the program that you qualified for along with the date in which you will either pick up your gifts or "shop"
- Please do not call prior to December 8th. We receive a very large number of requests for Christmas Assistance and with our limited staff it takes some time to process and determine eligibility and program acceptance. Unless you did not qualify at the event, you WILL receive Christmas assistance in one of the programs.
- After you have received your letter, Save the Date! Due to the large number of families receiving assistance it is imperative that you arrive on time and ready.
Gift Receiving Day:
- At the Toy Shop you will arrive, check in and be assigned a "Santa's Helper" - Santa's helpers walk with the families guiding them through the toy shop and assisting them.
- After shopping, your gifts will bagged and loaded into your vehicle along with your holiday meal box
- At Adopt-a-Family you will arrive and check in - "Santa's Helpers" will guide you to the loading location, where they will load your vehicle with gifts and food.
Christmas Assistance Sign Up Events
The Salvation Army Grand River Building
3600 E. Grand River, Howell
(across from Carson's and Payless Shoe Stores)
Dates and Times:
- October 16, 2018 | 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
- October 17, 2018 | 2:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- October 20, 2018 | 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
- November 17, 2018 | 12:00 pm - 7:00 pm - Note: due to the nature of this program, for a family to be eligible for Adopt A Family or Thanksgiving you must attend an October Sign up events
What to Bring:
Printed and completed copy of the Wish List (wish lists will be available at the event, however to ensure that your wishlist has the correct information it is recommended that you complete it in advance and bring it. This also helps decrease the amount of time it takes to apply at the event.)
You MUST bring ALL of the following to apply:
- Current Picture Id/License for all adults 18 & up
- One of the following for each child 17 and under in household: birth certificate, school ID, immunization record, school documentation, or Friend of the Court paperwork
- Proof of Livingston County residency (CURRENT utility bills, DHHS paperwork, lease)
- Current proof of monthly income for ALL household members
- Please try to avoid bringing children to sign ups
- There are no appointments for these events, families are taken as they come in
- Have all paperwork ready to speed up your process
Any questions please contact our office 517-546-4750