The Salvation Army of Livingston County offers Thanksgiving Assistance to Livingston County families and individuals.
Thanksgiving Assistance is provided through either pre-cooked delivered meals or DIY holiday meal boxes that are picked up. Meals vary each year, but usually contain a Traditional Thanksgiving meal.
Pre-cooked meals are delivered on Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving.
DIY holiday meal boxes are picked up at a scheduled date and time the week of Thanksgiving.
How do I Apply and How Does it Work?
All families and individuals wishing to receive Thanksgiving Assistance MUST attend one of the Christmas/Thanksgiving Assistance Events.
Prior to and Day Of Christmas/Thanksgiving Assistance Events:
- If you are applying for Christmas and Thanksgiving Assistance Prior to the event print and complete the Wish List to bring with you
- At the Assistance Events families and individuals will complete an application to determine eligibility (be sure to bring all the required documents, see list below)
- At the event you will meet with one of our case workers or trained volunteers to go over your application and answer any questions
- Please try to avoid bringing children to the Assistance Events
After Assistance Event:
- You will be mailed a letter and notified by November 16th of the program that you qualified for along with the date in which you will either pick up your meal or have it delivered
- Please do not call prior to November 16th. We receive a very large number of requests for Assistance and with our limited staff it takes some time to process and determine eligibility and program acceptance. Unless you did not qualify at the event, you WILL receive assistance in one of the programs.
- After you have received your letter, Save the Date! Due to the large number of families receiving assistance it is imperative that you arrive on time and ready or are at home to receive your pre-cooked meal.
Meal Receiving Day:
- For meal delivery, be prepared to have a volunteer dropping off your meal during the time slot assigned. The volunteer will knock or ring the door bell, please have pets in a safe area and be prepared to receive food that will either need to be eaten that evening or placed in the refrigerator for the next day. All food items will be packaged individually for easy storage or serving.
- At meal pick up location you will arrive and check in - a volunteer will guide you to the loading location, where they will load your vehicle with your DIY holiday meal box.
Thanksgiving Assistance Sign Up Events
Thanksgiving and Christmas Assistance Sign Ups are at the same event- You do not need to attend 2 events to apply for both services
The Salvation Army Grand River Building
3600 E. Grand River, Howell
(across from Carson's and Payless Shoe Stores)
Dates and Times:
- October 16, 2018 | 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
- October 17, 2018 | 2:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- October 20, 2018 | 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
What to Bring:
Printed and completed copy of the Wish List - only if you are also applying for Christmas Assistance as well.
You MUST bring ALL of the following to apply:
- Current Picture Id/License for all adults 18 & up
- One of the following for each child 17 and under in household: birth certificate, school ID, immunization record, school documentation, or Friend of the Court paperwork
- Proof of Livingston County residency (CURRENT utility bills, DHHS paperwork, lease)
- Current proof of monthly income for ALL household members
- Please try to avoid bringing children to sign ups
- There are no appointments for these events, families are taken as they come in
- Have all paperwork ready to speed up your process
Any questions please contact our office 517-546-4750