Nominate a Nebraska High School Senior for a D.J.’s Hero Awards Scholarship
Do you know a Nebraska high school senior who has exemplified perseverance, resilience and selflessness in the face of daunting challenges? If so, that outstanding student could be eligible to win a $12,000 D.J.’s Hero Awards Scholarship!
Since 2001, The Salvation Army has awarded 172 scholarships to Nebraska high school seniors who have overcome significant challenges in their lives. Named in memory of D.J. Sokol, who passed away in June of 1999 just three weeks after graduating from high school, the awards were born out of D.J.’s passion for including, encouraging and shining the spotlight on those who might otherwise have been overlooked.
This year The Salvation Army will award up to 15 scholarships in the amount of $12,000 each – a $2,000 increase from last year.
The available scholarships are as follows:
- Ten D.J.'s Hero Awards Scholarships, underwritten by Peggy and David Sokol
- One D.J.’s Hero Teresa Hunzeker Memorial Scholarship, underwritten by the Fred Hunzeker family
- One D.J.’s Hero Charles Schroer Memorial Scholarship, underwritten by Marilyn and Jim Schroer (new this year)
- One D.J.’s Hero Kim Courtnage Memorial Scholarship, underwritten by The Kim Foundation (new this year)
- Two D.J.’s Hero Salvation Army Scholarships, underwritten by D.J.’s Hero Awards Luncheon net proceeds
D.J.’s Hero Awards nominations must be submitted electronically by Wednesday, March 9, 2022. Applicants can either submit the application materials directly online or download and then scan and email the completed application materials as PDFs to firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information about the D.J.’s Hero Awards Scholarships and instructions for how to apply can be found HERE.
The scholarships will be presented at the D.J.’s Hero Awards Luncheon on May 3, 2022.