Sleep Out Event Scholarships
“We recognize that not everyone who wants to participate may be able to afford the registration fee. We have a limited number of scholarships to provide for people who want to attend. Please, contact Candace Burdette at (309) 346-3010 if you would like to attend.” - Danielle Owens, Chair of The Salvation Army of Pekin 360 Life Center Advisory Council
Join The Salvation Army of Pekin 360 Life Center for the first annual Homeless Not Hopeless sleep out event to raise awareness of local homeless individuals and families. This event, which is being held in Mineral Springs Park in Pekin, will begin Friday, July 16 at 6 p.m. and end Saturday, July 17 at 6 a.m.
There are several ways the community can support The Salvation Army through the Homeless Not Hopeless event...
- Sign up to sleep in a tent in the park for $25
- Sponsor the event as a Gold ($5,000), Silver ($2,500), Bronze ($1,000) or Red ($250 to $999) Level sponsor
- Purchase an event t-shirt for $25
- Pay for someone else to participate for $25 (you cannot join them in the Park but would like to pay for someone else to participate)
Current sponsors are: Deverman Advertising Inc.; Excalibur Seasonings; Fort’s Toyota of Pekin; Pekin Insurance; Ray Dennison Chevrolet; & Screen Graphics.
The poverty rate in Tazewell County is just over 8.5%. The Salvation Army provides vital resources for these individuals who have nowhere else to turn. Last year The Salvation Army of Pekin provided 1,643 nights of shelter.
“Our goal is not to just provide shelter for individuals and families who may be living out of their car; sleeping on friends’ couches; or on the streets. We will also provide case management to help them work toward independence. Last year 80% of the individuals and families in our program moved to permanent and affordable housing.”
- Major Heath Sells, Tri-County Coordinator for The Salvation Army