We Are an Organization Dedicated to Doing the Most Good in your community.
Who we Are
The Salvation Army of Rock County is home to The Salvation Army of Beloit and The Salvation Army of Janesville. We are a funded partner of the United Way Blackhawk Region.
1885: The Salvation Army reached the streets of Beloit. The Beloit Corps of The Salvation Army is credited with being the oldest welfare organization in the city. The work was begun in an old skating rink under the leadership of Captain J. Daveraux, Commanding Officer. Services were held in various rented stores and buildings until 1910. Such properties included Reitler's Hall, McKee's Hall on Broad Street, and a room in the Thompson Building next to the Beloit State Bank.
1910: The Salvation Army purchased a lot at 328 Broad Street by selling stone blocks to citizens interested in the erection of the building.
2018: The Salvation Army in Beloit is under the leadership of Captain Jacob and Melinda Tripp, Commanding Officers.
1885: The Salvation Army was established in Janesville. Its first location was in rented quarters in the Cannon Block (221-223 W. Milwaukee St.).
1909: The Salvation Army purchased a building at 101 N. Main St. for its headquarters.
1936: The old building was in poor condition and funds were raised to erect a new building on the same site.
1977: The North Main St. location was also in disrepair, and The Salvation Army decided to build a brand new community center away from downtown Janesville.
1978: The new building at 514 Sutherland Ave. was completed and continues to serve the organization today.
2018: The Salvation Army in Janesville is under the leadership of Majors Thomas and Julie McDowell, Commanding Officers.