Responding to the Coronavirus: How We’re Keeping Our Clients Safe
The Salvation Army Metropolitan Division remains committed to Doing The Most Good for our neighbors in need, especially now as we all respond to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. To keep our clients, staff, and volunteers safe, and in accordance with city, state, and federal guidelines, our individual corps community centers are suspending all worship services and programs, such as after-school activities, open gym time, music lessons, and Bible studies -- with the exception of feeding and food pantries. Those food-related programs are operating with the adjustments listed below. Social services are available by appointment through contacting individuals corps community centers.
Corps Community Centers
- Aurora Corps Community Center: Food pantry operates every Tuesday and Thursday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. One family at a time is served in the building's entryway, and clients are encouraged to maintain safe social distancing if there is a line.
- Blue Island Corps Community Center: Senior Lunch Program and food pantry continuing, but only as drive-through services.
- Chicago LaVillita Corps Community Center: Food pantry open every Wednesday morning.
- Chicago Mayfair Community Church and Community Center: Food pantry is open with normal hours, but items are being pre-packaged. Social services available by appointment.
- Chicago Midway Corps Community Center: Senior breakfast program suspended until further notice.
- DeKalb Corps Community Center: Food pantry is drive-through only, with prepackaged boxes delivered curbside, and clients can receive food once a week (instead of the previous once a month).
- Des Plaines Corps Community Center: After registering at our reception desk, food pantry clients will wait in their vehicle for the food to be brought to them.
- East Chicago Corps Community Center: Preparing take-home meals from the mobile canteen for weekday lunch program instead of serving the meal communally. Food pantry is running with normal hours (Monday through Thursday from 9:00 to 11:00 a.m.).
- Elgin Corps Community Center: Saturday Fresh Produce Pantry remains open from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. but will offer pre-boxed food instead of client choice. And only small groups of individuals will be allowed into the building at a time for this pantry service. Home Goods Pantry remains open on Tuesdays (10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.) and Thursdays (1:00 to 3:00 p.m.) with pre-bagged items instead of the usual client choice.
- Gary/Merrillville Corps Community Center: Food and hygiene kits as well as funding for utility assistance available by appointment. Staff will be taking the canteen out March 29 to deliver food, hygiene items, and prayer at local apartment complexes from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Hammond/Munster Corps Community Center: Food pantry available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Harbor Light Center Corps Community Center: No one with symptoms will be allowed to enter the building. Sick clients may arrange to have someone pick up their food pantry order for them.
- Joliet Corps Community Center: Food pantry is still open. The after-school program is suspended until further notice, but meals usually served during the after-school program will be available in to-go containers.
- Norridge Citadel Corps Community Center: Food pantry is operating with normal hours, but with prepackaged boxes instead of client-choice.
- Rockford/Winnebago County Social Services: Food pantry is open but items are being pre-packaged. Social services available by appointment at the 416 S. Madison Street location.
- Tri-City/St. Charles Corps Community Center: Food pantry pick-ups available by appointment only (no walk-ins allowed).
- Freedom Center/Harbor Light Center (substance use disorder treatment facility): Facility is closed to outside visitors. All others (new clients, repairmen, etc.) must pass health screening to be allowed entry. Additional cleaning will be conducted in all high-traffic areas. Sick clients will remain in their rooms. Sick employees must stay home.
- Salvation Army Family Stores: All in-home pick-ups suspended until at least March 30. All retails stores are temporarily closed.
Help The Salvation Army Do the Most Good
For tax purposes: The Salvation Army Metropolitan Division EIN is 36-2167910.