Throughout the nation, The Salvation Army opens our arms and our hearts to serve those most desperate for physical, emotional, and spiritual assistance. Because human need differs from state to state, city to city, and even person to person, we seek to find solutions to each unique situation. By providing everything from feeding programs and emergency shelters to domestic abuse asylum and disaster relief services, we are able to do the most good wherever and whenever it's needed.
There are many programs and services we provide to assist families.
Financial Assistance - Payments toward rent and utilities (utilities must have a total balance of $500 or below) may be made when funding is available and eligibility requirements are met. We do not assist with deposits. Landlords will be contacted before funds are sent to verify their acceptance. Utility companies will be contacted and notified of assistance amounts
- Eligibility requirements: Household income must fall below the current federal income guidelines for families in need (185% of poverty level) to be eligible for assistance and may not have received financial assistance here in the previous 12 months.
1. Photo ID.
2. Social Security Cards for everyone in the household.
3. Lease for rent assistance. Bill for utility assistance.
4. Proof of income or no income for each adult in the household.
- Call 319-364-9131 for information on making an appointment for financial assistance.
Holiday Social Services
- Christmas Food Box
During the holiday season, The Salvation Army provides holiday food boxes which include meat for needy families. Families are served based on need and poverty level. See our Brighten the Holidays page.
- Christmas Toys
The Salvation Army partnered with the Marine Corps Toys for Tots to form "The Christmas Toy Shop" for needy families. Registration begins in October for any impoverished family with children ages birth to fourteen. The Salvation Army coordinates all family registrations as well as the distribution of the Christmas gifts. See our Brighten the Holidays page.